Podcast ep 59: Local Kooks
September 23 2019
What is a local kook? David sat down and made a list of qualities a local kook would have. Shana and Heff add their thoughts in defining this important subset of local celebrity. Also, Shana gets a present: a "High Priestess of Rubber Chickens" sash to wear with her rubber chicken dress! Plus, you shouldn't kick owls. Really.
David's Qualities of Local Kooks
- All local kooks are local celebrities, but not all local celebrities are local kooks.
- Great, memorable name or title.
- Outfit and accessory
- Catchphrase or schtick or complete silence
- Attached to a location (City or specific spot)
- Play well against a straight man (or woman).
- Appears in local news more than once a year even if just in the background.
- Usually a true passion for what they’re doing.
- Has fans or people that look forward to seeing them.
- Shop at Archie McPhee.
Loved the Local Kook conversation and rules. I thought of a number of tv commercial kooks (Dick Balch, Jack Roberts) but I don’t think they really qualify since they were trying to get attention to sell cars and appliances. Another one I thought of was “Rockin’ Roland” – the guy who wore a rainbow Afro wig and held up a John 3:16 sign in key locations during sporting events so he’d be on camera.
But ultimately a true local kook needs to come by it more naturally because they’re a kook whether or not a camera is around.
Love the podcast!